Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2020

WW1

What it was like for kids when the war was going on?

The children found it really hard because many of their fathers were killed and their mothers would not have any time to look after her children because they would have been working long hours. The woman would spend more time outside the house than doing chores inside the house.   

Children during WW1 - World War 1 - Class 1


Facts about WW1
World war 1 started on July the 28 1914. Over 8 million soldiers died and 21 million were injured. WW1 ended on June 28 1919. The youngest British soldier was only 12 his name was Sidney Lewis. He lied about his age so that he could join the war and fight for his country. He was one of 250,000 under age soldiers. Most of them lied about their age because they love their country. Some others did so that they could escape their poor lives. Plastic surgery was invented  because of WW1 because  so many soldiers required surgery to repair their damaged bodies. Over 12 million letters were delivered to the front line every week. Chemical weapons were first used in WW1.
My great great Uncle Raymond  Kean was killed in the war.  He got shot while flying a plane and he was only 22 years old.  He was awarded the DFC ( Distinguished Flying Cross) a few years ago.  My Mum and Dad attended the ceremony at the Air force  Museum in Wigram. He was awarded this posthumously ( which means after he died).  He was supposed to receive it at Buckingham Palace from the King but he was killed the day before the ceremony.  His medal is in the museum in Wigram.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Molly
    You have obviously done a lot of research on the history of World War I and talked with family members on the significance of it in relation to your family history. I bet a lot of young men thought they were going on an adventure and a way to see the world but as you say the reality was far different. That's a very special story about your Uncle Raymond. It's really great to hear that he was awarded the DFC and that your parents were able to attend the ceremony. Do you know who is looking after the medal in your family at the moment and who it will be passed on to in the future?
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually in the air force musses in Wigram because that is what my family wanted.

      Delete
    2. That's wonderful then it's like a gift to the people of Christchurch as well, I will look out for them next time I visit there

      Delete
  2. Hi Molly...wow! Great information about WW1 . It's great to consider things from other people's perspectives, especially of children at school during this time. I'm sorry to hear your great uncle was killed in the war. Did you do something to commemorate him on Anzac Day this year, in your lockdown bubble?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We remembered my Great Uncle and we talked a lot about him. It was nice to hear the stories about his wonderful efforts in the war.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post