Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2020

The Turkey

For school I had to do a summery about Turkeys. Here is my work.

Turkeys are native to North America. Turkeys are omnivores and eat things like seeds and Lizards. Turkeys are not very good flyers but their legs are strong and they can run up to
30 km per hour. They have great eyesight during the day but at night it is not so good. Only about half the eggs make it to hatching and only 30% of the young turkeys survive. To ensure that some turkeys make it through adulthood the mother lays about 9 to 12 eggs sometimes it can be as many as 18. She sits on them for a month. During mating season the male turkey impresses the female turkey by puffing up his body, fluffing his feathers and spreading his tail in a semi circle fan shape. He also makes the gobble gobble sound. Believe it or not it works. In the past people caught Turkeys for food and their feathers. Some people think of turkeys as starvation food.   

What did you learn?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Molly
    Well done on your summary on turkeys including lots of interesting facts! It does seem like that there would not be that many turkeys since the survival rate of the egg is so low but I guess that it does increase the amount by how many eggs they lay. I wonder if there any other birds that lay as many eggs as that?
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post